You’re invited to a free lecture!
Ascent Architecture & Interiors is a proud sponsor of the upcoming Building a Better Bend lecture “Integration, Revitalization and Transportation: Opportunities for a Small City Campus” by David C. Bagnoli, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, McGraw Bagnoli Architects. We hope you can attend this free event that will help influence Bend’s future as a home to higher education.
Date: Tuesday, October 23
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Bend Parks and Rec building at 799 SW Columbia Street
Lecturer David Bagnoli, an expert on smart growth at colleges and universities, is an architect and urban designer who has written extensively on the benefits of balanced town-gown relationships. Bagnoli will discuss ways that educational institutions can physically integrate campus buildings into surrounding neighborhoods while minimizing traffic and other impacts. He will address the physical, economic, and transportation challenges and opportunitie created by colleges in small cities and describe how such institutions have engaged their surroundings to various degrees. Real-world examples will include:
- Campuses which fully integrate into a community’s traditional streetscape and historic structures;
- Campuses which partially engage a community at one edge, with a visible, positive, and often defining presence; and
- Campuses that remains separate both physically and ideologically from its respective community.
The benefits of each can include downtown revitalization, neighborhood enhancement, and sensible solutions for transportation issues, including bicycle/pedestrian access and public transit. The presentation will conclude with a conversation about potential approaches for Bend as it considers its unique opportunity of integrating Oregon State University into a historic area.
- Acadia Properties
- Ascent Architecture & Interiors
- Bryant Lovlien & Jarvis
- Mill Point Business Campus
- National Association of REALTORS®
- Northwest Crossing
- Oregon Transportation & Growth Management Program
- Oxford Hotel
- Timberline Construction
For more information, visit http://www.facebook.com/events/115111088636704/.